Monday, August 11, 2008

Thank You Mr. Wooten. Issue #62




I'm sitting here in THE ORANGE ROOM (my studio) with Zicam in one hand and a Kleenex in the other while listening to the sound of chainsaws dropping trees that are narrowly missing my roof in the backyard. Surprisingly, this is the first time I've been sick this year and I'm guessing it's my body making me take a break. Nose is running, progress is happening. Is this called life balance? I digress...


Last Wednesday COLLIDER rocked the Highdive with new friends IRIS I and marked the occasion as the last show with our bass player Mark Wooten. Mark served for the past year as the bassist for both COLLIDER and KYLE STEVENS BAND, and was a pleasure to work with during that time. Having exclusively played with punk bands in the past, Mark entered into a different type of world signing up as the low-end maker for both band's various brands of Rock-Pop. As the senior member of our tribe he continuously shared road dog stories of years past from a time when bands didn't care how many MySpace friends they had, and the guys from Pearl Jam worked at your local coffee shop. His energy and enthusiasm was something that I felt fortunate to have as someone who was throwing his hat back into music after having taken time off from having a full band. It's always somewhat of a sad thing when members of bands part ways even if it's on good terms because you become a sort of family from having spent many hours creating in close quarters. I'm glad for the time he gave to us and wish him nothing but the best in all he does. I also will miss the daily inappropriate jokes handed out from what he gathered working at his construction site that day. What's the difference between Jam and Jelly you ask? I wish I could tell you, but since there are possible young minds reading (and I like ruining those as much as the next person), you'll have to ask him at the next show. Trust me, it's a good one...




And what was that about my body making me take a break? It could be that I have a problem with taking on too much but that's how we roll, you know? That said, next week I'll give an update on the the current state of the COLLIDER record, and introduce the name of a brand new project that is slated to be completed in the next few months.

"Another band Kyle? WTF??!?"

Not exactly, but something really fun...


Noich Noich Noich,

KS








No comments: