Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Meet The Band/All-Ages CD Release (11/25)! Issue #24

I just got back from the chiropractor and I must say I'm feeling better (thanks for asking!). It turns out there was some wonkiness going on in this little frame from the car accident with Gigi that I really didn't feel until a few days ago, so I decided to check it out. All I can say is that it sounded like popcorn. Mmmmmm...melted butter.


So here's the deal, I think it's time I told you a little bit about my band who is playing with me at the CD Release shows, don't you? After all, they've tried VERY hard to not roll their eyes at me this week, and since that means they've earned not 2, but 3 gold stars for their efforts, I think they deserve a cookie in the form of a proper blog profile.

First up, Matt Edington...


Matt and I go WAY back to when we met at age 13. He had just gotten a acoustic guitar, and I had just gotten my 3/4 size "Harmony" electric for my birthday. Actually, that and Pearl Jam's "Ten" album. It was a GOOD birthday. Matt and I decided to start playing together since we didn't know anyone else our age who played (that we liked), and set out to "destroy" the Whitman Middle School Talent Show that was to take place in the spring of 1993.

Did we know how to write songs? NO.

Did we think we did? YES.

That started a musical marriage for Matt and I as we taught each other how to play guitar over the years as we started a band called A NEW BEGINNING (Deep...), that turned into AGAINST THE PILLAR (think Sharon Stone in "Sliver"), evolved in to AREA 51 (Matt was into aliens), and finally became LAYMANS TERMS. LT put out 1 album with Matt in the lineup before he left in 1998. Over the years Matt and I have stayed in touch as he spent years on and off living in Asia and drinking Foo-Foo drinks.
When he moved back in early 2006, we talked about playing together again and flirted with some song ideas over the next couple of months. Nothing seemed to be sticking as we both had pretty specific ideas of what we wanted to do that didn't exactly go together. In Spring of 2007, we just decided that the most important thing is to play together because of chemistry, and the band would develop it's sound naturahttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.giflly. This is how our other band COLLIDER came about, and we'll actually be playing a few of those songs at my CD Release shows as well.
Besides playing in COLLIDER and recording as a solo artist under the name FORCEFIELDS, Matt has also offered his services for my solo deal and enjoys trying to make mess up my vocals with a grab bag of ridiculous faces thrown at me while I'm singing. If you see him throwing these at me, feel free to throw things at him...

Next up, Mark Wooten...


I met Mark through my wife's family's church when I was approached a few years ago to help with a youth band called THE COVERALLS. The band was made up of High School students that belonged to the church that wanted to perform at community events/school fundraisers, etc...
Tim Jolin is a good friend who "runs" the band and he asked me if I would be interested in helping out. I said no problem due to the fact that LT had just
broken-up, and the kids were really nice and motivated to learn "The Rock". Tim told me about Mark and how he was looking for a new project to get into. I played with him in a couple of off-shoot Coveralls shows, and after a while told him that I was in the planning stages of getting a solo band together. He said he would be interested, to let him know when I was ready to pull the trigger. Mark was part of the early Seattle scene in a band called ZIPGUN, and politely tolerates my many questions about old-school Seattle Music and who he knew and played shows with. The best of his stories I heard so far was when he and his old band caught Cali Punk band BAD BRAINS stealing all his bands gear cause' they "thought it was theirs". Yeah...

Finally, Ian Caruso...


Ian is a funny guy. This is important in a drummer, especially since many times it is the only thing that will cover-up the annoyance of all the other "drummer-isms" that come with the territory. The good thing is, Ian doesn't have any of the "-isms" that I'm used to dealing with with drummers. He actually shows up on time, cares about what's going on in the other instruments, and can stop playing when people need to work things out. I keep telling him I'm waiting for something to surface...
Also, Ian knows someone EVERYWHERE, and seemingly a little something about EVERYTHING but not really in the annoying way. Growing up in the North end of Seattle and holding an array of past day jobs all over while never leaving for College, my wife had always told me that I knew someone everywhere. I see now that I'm not even in the same league of social whore-dom as Ian. I have much to learn...
Ian also owns many drumsets and has a cover-band fetish from what I can gather.
In closing about Ian, he and I share a similar past in that we both swam in High School. We also both made it to districts in our league, but he denies that I saw him having his back shaved pre-race in the locker room. Maybe it wasn't him (maybe), but Seattle Prep swim guys were pretty hardcore about that stuff and I did see the team doing that on more than one occasion.
If there are any witness to put this debate to rest, then please come forward...

I hope that everyone feels they know the band a little more now, and be sure to introduce yourself to them at the CD Release if you feel like it.

What...CD RELEASE!?!

Yep, it's been weeks of me stapling it to your memory and it starts this Sunday, November 25th with an ALL-AGES show @ THE COMIC STOP in Lynnwood!

The ROCK starts at 6:00 with TJ SHERRILL opening the evening and it's only $2 at the door. Copies of "SONGS FROM THE ORANGE ROOM" will be on sale for $6, and we'll also have the new T-Shirts for $10

THE COMIC STOP is the best comic shop in the Metro Area and will be to date the closest I will have gotten to rocking out at the X-Men's Xavier Mansion. They won't return my calls...

SEE YOU THERE!

-KS


No comments: