Monday, April 7, 2008

Big Purple Robe. Issue #44

Last summer when I was finishing up the track list for my solo debut E.P., SONGS FROM THE ORANGE ROOM, I was left with one song I wasn't sure if I wanted to include on the disc or not. The song was called "Big Purple Robe". Originally, I had planned to include it but when the time came to master the album I decided last minute to leave it off.

Why?

Well, even though I liked the song I felt that it didn't flow well with the rest of the collection of songs as a whole. I already had my ballad I wanted to include, "This Is Not A Love Song", which along with "BPR" was a sort of "against type" love song which chronicled the sometimes not very easy but none-the-less necessary up-and-downs of being in relationship. With "Love Song", I felt I had already covered the ground I wanted to lyrically and though "BPR" was a solid song in my eyes I thought it might be more of the same.
During the time I wrote the song I was listening to a lot of country and R&B, not so much to become influenced by the styles, but to stay away from comfort zones I might step into writing wise by listening to my usual "Alternative-esque" musical staples.

Though I haven't yet performed this song with the band I did break it out for nearly every show last Fall when I toured with TJ Sherrill, and each night experimented in performing the song in a different style. One night I would play it really slow, and the next really fast in an effort to see if the song might fully realize itself as a different animal, and in hopes I might discover why I hadn't been in love with it as much as my other tunes.
Despite my best efforts, I never came up with something that worked better than what you hear now. I also like it much more now after having taken a few months without listening to it, and will be getting it in shape with the band for the next show.

I chalk it up to an exercise/lesson in trusting my first judgment, and possibly a reinforcement of the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to download this
SONGS FROM THE ORANGE ROOM B-Side..."Big Purple Robe".



"BIG PURPLE ROBE"


Girl, tell me I'm yours tell me you're mine
I know there's bills to pay, and I know it's heavy on your mind.
I don't want to fight, turn off the lights, sit by my side
Oh, we could die today...and I'd hate to miss this moment.


CHORUS
:
'Cause something we have has a tendency,
to build up and break like a wave at sea,
and hard as we try it may always be so why don't you put on
your Big Purple Robe...


Oh, my timing is cruel my timing is bad
I know just what to say, I just don't know when to say it
So here, give me your hand it's never so bad
There's always another way...you're never alone when I'm with you.


CHORUS:
'Cause something we have has a tendency,
to build up and break like a wave at sea,
and hard as we try it may always be so why don't you put on
your Big Purple Robe...



KS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.