Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spring Has Sprung?/"E For Everyone" Now Available On Pre-Order! Issue #142


What a great weekend it was in the Northwest! This past weekend Seattle residents were reminded why we all live here despite the need to pump Vitamin D in the water supply. Working on that I am. The mountains were out, hardly a cloud in the sky, and the unusually horrible weekend traffic was a constant reminder that everyone was taking advantage of the sun while we could get it. I myself also took advantage speeding around the city from Edmonds to Golden Gardens to West Seattle to Carkeek Park. The gas man was happy and I like to think he enjoyed the glass of lemonade he had on his Texas estate the next morning courtesy of me.



I also house sat my good neighbor friends dog "Suki" last week so that was fun to get Logi some company other my boring ass around the house. She's a Shiba Inu so she's basically the complete opposite energy level of Logan and when they're together they look like Disney's "The Fox And The Hound". Also, they're in love. Love not without drama and passion mind you as you can see from the video below. Its like WWIII every time they're together. Craziness I say. Also, the path of my dog's destruction was furthered by him demolishing a Lemon Meringue pie I had set on the floor backseat of my car after leaving him for 4 minutes. Never before. It's time for an intervention...






Jim and I got a very nice response last week to our debut of "On And On", the first offering from the 3/9 release of the new KK album, E FOR EVERYONE. It's always a strange thing to put new work out there that you've been keeping quiet for some time but always super fun and breathes new life into it. I've heard the songs hundreds of times between writing and recording the album but I always need to remind myself no one else has. It's cool to be able to finally share something and even cooler when you see others get excited. Makes me feel very lucky to do what I do! This week we put the album up for Pre-order at www.kirbykracklemusic.com for those who want to be the first to receive the album. Yesterday I was thinking how different the whole process was compared to when I used to sell cassettes...maybe I should try that again? Throwback night!

Below is an excerpt from the posting up today at the KK website. Every week starting this week until the day of the release we'll be sharing the titles of the songs and the subject matter for the fanboys and fangirls to get ramped up about and excited for. Read on! Also, pictures below are outtakes from the KK photo shoot in November...method acting for beginners?




VAULT 101

We're obsessed with the game FALLOUT 3. It's obsessed with us. How do we know? Well it seemed for days, and weeks, and months in a row whenever we had down time after traveling to conventions and writing/recording it called to us like the ring of Sauron. Most of the time it made us turn the lights down low, the volume up high, and open a Victory Brewing Company "Storm King Stout" to devour while blasting mutants with our mighty shotgun. Yep, that game tastes like that beer till the day we die. Anyone relate? It was a no-brainer that we needed to write a song professing our love for the hours of enjoyment the game has given us and we did just that. In fact, it was the first song written of the new batch and we love it. The chorus speaks of "In a world gone mad I gotta believe, I gotta believe it's getting better" relating to the experience of leaving the safety of Vault 101 in the game, and also relating to how we choose to deal with stress in this life. Hope and belief reign above all in the human spirit and for a game and song whose lyrics have Raiders, an atom bomb, and a hard working Pip-Boy scattered throughout, we find it's no exception.

"Vault 101! Vault 101! I've seen the lights, I've seen the lights of Megaton"...


ON AND ON

Our song about and from the perspective of an overworked, overly committed Wolverine. (See last week's post for description).


SECRET IDENTITY

Ok, hands raised for who DOESN'T want to be a super hero?! Yeah we thought so, and guy in the back with the hand up put it down cause the Old Spice ain't working. Now that that's done, SECRET IDENTITY is a weezer-esque light-hearted but heavy in spirit declaration from a guy who's more than any of us working for the weekend. Why? Well, when he's done buying tile at Target and after tucking his kids into bed he's a vigilante jumping rooftops and trying not to die in the process. Inspired by The Incredibles, Millar's "Kick Ass", and our own overwhelming urge to roam the streets delivering the KK brand of justice; SECRET IDENTITY hopes to speak to the inner crime fighter in all of us. Worth getting shot and the embarrassment of having your friends bail you out in a bright yellow costume? TOTALLY.

"Secret Identity, and nobody knows but me...patrolling the city streets...my ears to the ground..."



ROLL OVER


Started and mapped out to the surrounding passengers dismay on a the tarmac leaving Fan Expo in Toronto last year, ROLL OVER is the sister song to last year's "Marvelous Girls". First we gotta back up a bit...
A few years ago, there was a period of about six months where many of the big rap hits on the charts had something to do with a nursery rhyme as the hook in the chorus (A la Jay-Z's "Hardknock Life"). During this time of public domain inspired catchy hookery, Kyle swore up and down that someone soon would do a song using the childrens song "Roll Over" and instead of the lyric being "10 in the bed and the little one said "Roll Over! Roll Over!"...", it would be "10 in the bed and the Asian one said..." or "10 in the bed and they white girl said...", and etc. The play on the famous nursery rhyme seemed an obvious declaration of a rap artist's always important to describe sexual-prowess and he was shocked when no one snatched the idea up that seemed to hang so freely in the ether. Fast forward to last summer 2009 when we started writing E4E and the idea came up again only this time we instead of "white girls/asian girls" we were inspired to write about "Fraggle girls/Thudercat girls/Amazon girls". Also, no pressure was felt of convincing others of our sexual prowess, mostly cause we're horrible. Not impressive. Basically, the Cuckoo girls gave us six-thumbs down.
The song layered with 808's and Dr. Dre-esque production hopes to leave you with the feeling that you've just spent the night with 10 cartoon girls at the bar at the end of the world. The song also marks the first time we've ever had a rap artist spit 12-bars on tape for us before. We turned to GMK THE GREAT our boy L.A. who was kind enough to take time out of his schedule and let us fly him up to lay down one of the sickest odes to cartoon girls we've ever heard. Yes, we've memorized the rap. No, you don't want to hear us do it...

"Final call came, there were shots all around with the Gummi Bear juice and the Getafix potion...feeling all right we broke into the night, Dagger had an in on transportation..."



Finally, today KK made a very special announcement that MARVEL COMICS Editor-In-Chief and main man Joe Quesada will be performing with us as a special guest on a few songs at Emerald City Comic Con on March 14th. Joe and KK became friends after visiting the Marvel offices when we released the first album in January 2009. We briefly talked about performing together during our 2nd trip to NYC promoting the album and thankfully it will happen in a few weeks to form a nerd-rock Voltron of the highest order! I'm pumped and if you told me 2 years ago that we'd be rocking with the man in charge of the books we love I'd of said you were high. Strangely, I remember meeting him when I was 11 at a comic shop signing downtown that my dad took me to. It was the first one I had ever attended and I was so nervous to meet an actual artist of the comics I'd spend my entire allowance on. Life is crazy.


See you next week for another song available for listening from E FOR EVERYONE!


Noiche Noiche Noice,

KS

8 comments:

John Morrison said...

A retro cassette tape release would actually be pretty cool! Last year, Cheap Trick did a release on 8-track!

And congrats on getting to rock with Joe Q!

Bugs said...

I hope she wasn't too much trouble... I have the same problem with missing food in my car as well.

Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for that meticulous model. The prices seeking the boots are approximately 310 bucks on every page. But completely I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Anonymous said...

Hey your website is nice
look at at this crazy emo video clip:
http://tinyurl.com/75993v

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Хотела купить в кредит [url=http://shkafy.com/шкаф своими руками[/url] расскажите еще что то, ассортимент сейчас такой огромный не разбираюсь я

Anonymous said...

I want to know what Galen will change with that..

-Best Regards
Dee