Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fairy Tales. Issue #119


Ever since I was little, I've been in love with the idea of being involved with a "movement" in rock n' roll. Call it ingrained in me as a 11 year-old kid growing up in the Seattle suburbs during the "grunge" movement in the early 90's, but the idea has always been exciting to me. Starting a band in my early teens with my best friends I bought fully into the idea that the fairy tale of making it with those people was the "only way" that my career in music would work for me. Obviously, I didn't know what I was talking about and since then have had so many twists and turns that I would never have imagined that have both bummed me out, and later on blown my mind with the opportunities they had created for me in the process. You can watch any 3 out of 5 VH! "Behind The Music" episodes and you'll have someone say that that they "knew" a "movement" was happening when it was. I call BS on that. Hindsight is always 20/20 and it sounds great to say you were that tuned in to what was happening at the time, but more often than not I don't buy it.



What I'm trying to say is that at last week's KIRBY KRACKLE show with BEEFY at The Highdive, I felt for the first time the potential starting of being a part of something that for the longest time was very important to me; the mythical fairy tale of rock n' roll when things line up at the right place at the right time and a grouping of like minded groups all moving forward in a new way simultaneously. Dare I say I feel a movement of northwest nerdcore/geek rock? We'll see, but the possibility is more than present. Maybe that sounds douchey, but I'll risk it to be honest and that's what this blog is about; to chronicle all angles of this adventure. For the past year the trip through the development of KK has not only been the most fun I've ever had professionally, but the most fun I've ever had in music period; music for the sake of fun first, and maybe for that reason has led to the most commercially successful a project of mine has been. Definitely something to think about when approaching life in general...what happens when you put the joy of something first.



Though the KK show at Highdive wasn't nearly as packed last months Showbox show...the air had a special and good feeling swirling around. People sang along (still blows my mind), and even some guys dancing. So cool. Beefy started the night off with his unique brand of nerdcore-rap; an audience directed dialogue about gamer-girls and videogame frustrations. If we have the comic fanboy set tagged; he owns digital nerd fanbase through and through. It was the first time we had shared the stage with a fellow nerdcore/geek rock artist and the mutual loved flowed from the stage to the beer taps to the urinals and everywhere in between. Jim and I were proud to be on a bill with him and even prouder to have him guest-spot on our closing song, "Ring Capacity". RC has been really good to the band since we gave it away as an email list enticing summer-single, and it was great to have Beefy take the chorus with us. See below...



What next? I've got the new KK album to finish writing before we hit the studio for a week in November. I've kind of been uninspired musically (happens when stress gets in there) and so to attempt to remedy that I've been painting/reading new books/learning new things to see if that stirs the creative juices. Hopefully, I'll get a kick in the butt and step up the game soon. October is always a good month for me (don't subscribe to astrology all that much but I'm a Scorpio so that's got to mean something), and I hope good sounds come from that. Multiple factors working in the favor here...(cross fingers).




"Instincts usually tell you what to do long before your head has it figured out..." -Michael Burke


KS

1 comment:

Deirdre said...

What a feel good and inspiring post!